Service Matters • October 2021
Welcome to the October 2021 Issue of Service Matters!
Welcome to the October 2021 issue of Service Matters, your answer to the question, “What’s Up in GreySheet?”
regarding all the work done for GSA as a whole to carry the message to compulsive eaters who still suffer.
WORLD SERVICE CONFERENCE NEWS!
Dear Fellow GreySheeters,
We will hold our 2021 World Service Conference on Sunday, October 17 from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm ET. This will be our first virtual conference. As we learn from our fellowship the meaning of a “WE” program, its success depends on how we actively participate in the process. We encourage everyone to understand the Standing Rules of the Conference. This will facilitate a smooth flow of our work on the resolutions and most of all, an enjoyable experience.
In preparation for the conference, we stress the following Standing Rules:
- Let’s talk about our food. There is a 30-minute break during the second session to eat a meal. At this time, we may turn off our video (but not log off from Zoom.) We encourage you to prepare your food before the start of the conference, so you have time to enjoy your delicious meal.
- Let’s talk about questions. Raise your digital hand ONLY to ask questions on the application of Robert’s Rules of Order or the Standing Rules of the Conference. No questions on the CONTENT of the resolutions or (this is new) anything said in DEBATE.
- Ensure your video is always ON except during the 15 and 30-minute breaks. The moderator will send us a chat if we turn off video and, if we do not respond within 30 seconds, she will remove us from the session.
- Roll Call at the start of Session 2. After the 15-minute break, we must respond to the roll call at the start of session two with our video on or be excluded from the entire second session.
- What is a Minority Opinion? After the vote on a resolution, the Chair will ask if anyone in the minority (those who voted against the motion if it passed; those who voted for the motion if it failed) would like to speak for the minority. Then the chair will ask if anyone in the MAJORITY would like to make and second a motion to reconsider the first vote. Only those who voted in the majority may make and second a motion to reconsider. We rely on your integrity.
The updated materials for the conference are available for download using this link: https://greysheet.org/world-services/world-service-conference/world-service-conference-2021
Wishing all delegates of the 2021 World Service Conference a wonderful experience as we Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Yours in Service,
A Message for the Delegates:
Sunday, October 17, 2021
Arrival Time: 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM ET
Zoom ID: 818 7770 0569
The Conference Committee of the World Service Conference would like to reiterate some of the Zoom guidelines for our World Service Conference meeting to be held on Sunday October 17, 2021.
Please remember to sign in with the name you used to register, or you will not be recognized and we will not be able to admit you from the waiting room.
For the conference, please remember to arrive between 08:45am - 9:15am ET. The Zoom meeting room will be locked at 09:30 AM ET. If you arrive after 9:30am, you will be unable to join the first session and will remain in the waiting room until the second session begins at 11:10am ET.
FYI: We have 3 non-delegate GSers who will moderate the conference.
Your video must remain on during the entire conference, except for breaks and lunch. Please keep your device still. Please use a laptop or desktop only.
Make sure your internet connection is STRONG. If you lose internet connection, unfortunately you will not be able to come back into the conference (Stated in Standing Rules of the Conference) until the next session.
- To keep your space free of all distractions such as family, pets or deliveries etc.
- Please stay muted at all times and remember no multitasking
- No eating - abstinent gum and drinks are acceptable
- Turn off ceiling fans visible on camera, as the movement can be very distracting
For more details on the Conference’s Standing Rules, please visit https://greysheet.org/world-services/world-service-conference/world-service-conference-2021
We look forward to a productive GreySheet World Service Conference meeting!
31st Annual NYC GreySheet Roundup via Zoom
Sunday November 14, 2021
Celebrating RoundUps, Fellowship and Love!
Time: 1:00pm - 4:15pm ET
Zoom information: Meeting ID: 853 6312 0160
Suggested donation is $5 to NY Metro Intergroup.
12:45pm ET - log in to see a friend!
1:00pm - 4:15pm ET
Noon - 3:00pm CT
11:00am - 2:00pm MT
10:00am - 1:00pm PT
6:00pm - 9:00pm London, Iceland
7:00pm - 10:00pm Paris
8:00pm - 11:00pm Israel
7th TRADITION: https://greysheetny.org/donations/
1:00pm - 2:00pm PANEL: It Works If You Work It
2:00pm - 3:00pm Breakout session #1 The Steps We Take
3:00pm - 4:00pm Breakout session #2 Living Abstinent
We would love to see you on video, if possible. Please keep your laptop, phone and background still!
All Interested GreySheeters Welcome!
- Committees Connecting mtg. ID: 663 470 166 on Sunday, October 10 Noon PM ET
- GSA World Service Conference mtg., ID: 818 7770 0569 on Sunday, October 17, Arrival Time: 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM ET
GreySheet Anonymous World Service
Board of Trustees' Column
My name is Joey M. and I’m a grateful compulsive eater. Today, I take responsibility for my actions. That means I weigh and measure my food, I write it down, I call and commit to my sponsor on time and I don’t eat No Matter What. My primary purpose is to stay abstinent so I can help the next compulsive eater.
I am your trusted servant, a Board of Trustees member, 7th Tradition sub-committee, and Assistant Treasurer since 2019. It’s been an amazing journey as a board member. The idea of a service position at a World Service level was such a foreign language for me when I started. As I learn the Traditions and Concepts, I am able to provide the level of service that I can be proud of as a member of the GreySheet community. I learned to be open and humble, that there is wisdom in accepting that I may not be able to know all the answers, and how to trust that I can be guided by a Higher Power in all of my affairs. And with these attitudes I am provided an opportunity to be the person that I can be and not the person that I thought I needed to be.
We currently have openings for service positions: Trustee/Secretary, European Board member, Registrar, European ISR, Website committee members/volunteers. If you are interested in joining and doing service at a World Service level, you can contact the Chair of the Nominating committee-Linda GS or click on this link. https://www.greysheet.org/world-services/board-of-trustees/nominating-committee
And if you are as energized as I am, I encourage you to join me as we trek this amazing journey to happy destiny. My name is Joey M and I am Abstinent and Grateful.
Your Board of Trustees has an unexpected opening for the position of Secretary. The Secretary of the Board of Trustees is a critical member of the board as she or he records the minutes of the monthly Board of Trustees meetings which provide a record of our decision making. We publish those minutes for full transparency to our fellowship: https://www.greysheet.org/world-services/board-of-trustees The Secretary is a trustee, i.e., the requirement is five years of back to back GreySheet abstinence and the term of office is three years. If you or anyone you know is qualified and interested, please contact Grainne, Chair - Board of Trustees at President@greysheet.org or Linda, Chair - Nominating Committee at Nominating@greysheet.org. We will be happy to answer your questions.
Your Website Committee has many opportunities for willing volunteers to help with the many non-technical tasks that it takes to keep the current website up and running and get the new website ready to launch. If you are an elected GSR, you can join the committee as a voting member if you want to help make decisions about the website or you can assist the committee with time-limited tasks as a non-voting volunteer. There’s lots to be done that doesn’t require web development or programming skills. Our website is the public face of GreySheeters Anonymous – the first thing that many newcomers see when they look for a solution online. Help us make it serve our primary purpose. Contact Linda, chair Nominating Committee at Nominating@greysheet.org
Links to Notes of Meetings
If you missed attending these meetings, never fear. Click on these links to see notes from these meetings; Notes are also available at https://bit.ly/2RSoD6E
Notes from September Committees Connecting meeting: https://bit.ly/3liz3IE
Notes from August Concepts meeting: https://bit.ly/3EV7UDu
Notes from August Traditions meeting: https://bit.ly/3CU7qLU